Tuesday, January 19, 2016


Grandpas and Grandmas
I have been blessed to have three sets of them. When I was little I thought of it as an advantage mainly from a Christmas presents and holiday gift/card standpoint. But now, I have been able to see beyond the material advantages which come from having three sets of grandparents, and view the relational and wisdom gleaning aspects as well. What follows is a sort of short form tribute to my grandparents. To my grandparents, I apologize for its deficiencies, inaccuracies, or limits to my understanding and knowledge of you. While my account falls far short of capturing your true selves, it is my best effort to honor you all.


Fred
He lived the closest and I see him the most. He plays golf and polishes his cars and paints his house and writes lists and talks about the old days. I help him with his computer and phone and we talk about how things used to be. We get burgers sometimes. He exhibits his love and care by always being there like when my car died and I had to get home, or when I wanted to buy a computer as a freshman and could not drive to the store, or when my friend and I needed an adult for both of us to go see Book of Eli. Full of smiles and seldom a frown, I always enjoy having him around.



Sandy
Great Christmas presents and great stories. She always had a story about a customer she met at Ben Bridge or an interesting fact about a story she had seen on TV or heard from a friend. She shows her love and care by always bringing those Peanut M&M’s, sweet chocolatey goodness, to all of our family functions. With that wry grin I know I’ll hear a good story from you again.


Papa
He has cars and trailers and a riding lawnmower. He taught me “the look” and “hit the head” and “no buttons no levers”. His shop is freezing cold but warm with creativity and smells of fresh sawdust. He teased me about my taxes and talks about his days in the forest service. We have had our troubles but it’s only because he cares and wants to make sure I am doing my part. Makes a mean old fashion and he shows his love and care by always being there when you need to borrow his trailer or to share a beer and a hug on the porch in the cool summer air.


Nana
She keeps our family together and uses every excuse there is for us to hang out. She was my first boss and taught me how to hold a rake and shovel dirt.  She makes the best spaghetti sauce and macaroni and cheese with hotdogs. She shows her love and care by planning such great events that you want to be sure you're there, from dinners, to the grandkids Christmas tree she’s always all in for our family and me.


Pa
Wit and wisdom. I know where I get my wit and I hope it’s where I will get my wisdom too. Loving and caring, sneaking 20 dollar bills into people's hands. Life long dedication to his church, town and school, here is an old man that rules. This grandfather is the grandmaster of Costco outings for hot dogs soda and giving his things away to people who need them somedays. The handsomest man around, although his western singing makes us all want to leave town. That careworn voice and twinkle in his eye shows how much he loves and cares for you and I.


Grandma Jane

She’s a card writer and quilt maker, an artist with the needle and thread she keeps our family warm with her handy work and her smile. If you're behaving well it's the warmest voice you will ever hear, if your misbehaving you better watch out because she is full of vocal clout. She is full of good sense but will not tolerate nonsense. A glimpse of her smile and you will see, her care and love for you and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment